Friends, I'm worried you're not spending enough time on the internet. Here's some reading for you to help ween you back into our virtual fold;
- George Monbiot has written about an extremely interesting report produced by the WWF on the psychology of social change. Why is the World Wrestling Federation taking such an interest in progressive movements you ask? Because they understand that climate change is the greatest threat to the modern world that we face, and it is the shape of that society that creates that problem. They need our passion as much as we need their muscular approach to the social problems.
- I want to like Seumas Milne but when he says things like "Obama needs his own Tea Party" I really do despair. The world needs less tea parties and more tea dances, the last thing the left needs is a Sarah Palin figure to polarise the movement and give a rallying call to all unthinking dogmatists.
- Mike Marqusee is a very decent bloke and solid socialist. He writes in Comment is Free on how NHS workers delivering cancer treatment have the power to change things for the better.
- Video of young Israeli activists disrupting Netanyahu giving a speech at the Jewish General Assembly.
- The Sydney Morning Herald reports on the school that banned a same sex couple attending the end of year ball. ''I put a lot of effort into trying to fix things. I had meetings with principals; looked through the Equal Opportunity Act; all my friends put posters up around the school and the teachers ripped them down. There was an easy solution; they just needed to let me go with my girlfriend.''
- Dawn Foster takes the state to task for locking up a victim of rape. She asks "where are the headlines for women who don’t come forward, for fear of not being believed?"