Saturday, July 04, 2009

Red Kola

In this weather you need something that can cool you down with a complete and devoted fervour. No ifs, no buts, no nuance but pure, unadulterated Trotskyist thirst quenching goodness. That's why when I saw Red Kola I immediately reached out my cheap skate hand (just 39 pence) and seized the day.

Red Kola is not your run of the mill beverage. Oh no. The moment it hits your tongue your entire being is brought to attention and ordered to storm that machine gun nest soldier. And not in a good way.

I'd be lying if I denied that I wasn't tempted to spit that first mouthful out. It was less Kola and more some sort of foul triple X Iron Bru. No one could deny it has *flavour* - dear God it has that and then some, it's just whether that flavour is fit for the delicate human constitution.

I persevered, of course. In fact, by the time I was half way through I'd begun to think that I might even be enjoying the experience. It was hard to tell though through the incessant buzzing in my ears and my uncontrollable sobbing.

Perhaps a young and adventurous type might enjoy this sort of thing, it's the Cola equivalent of an extreme rollercoaster. There's something there that you know is possible to enjoy - you just can't imagine it happening to you.

In it's favour I was really was very pleased once I'd finished the can and could stop drinking the stuff. That's at least one plus then.

4 comments:

weggis said...

Abbott Ale, IPA, Old Speckled Hen, London Pride, Marstons Pedigree, Ruddles County, Spitfire, Theakstons Old Peculiar, I could go on, and on, and on......

Strategist said...

Jim, I reached out my cheapskate hand the other day and was handed a free can of "Pepsi Raw" ("Naturally sourced. Great taste") and loads of 15p off Pepsi Raw at Boots vouchers (expire 10/7/09).

I had it in mind to review it for the Daily Maybe and finally drank it yesterday thinking I'd better before the heatwave ends.

Tasted pretty terrible.

Unknown said...

You talk as if a Triple-X Irn Bru would be a bad thing...

Adam Clark, Ooba Creative said...

I'm late to the party but Red Kola is a bit of a Love it or Hate it kinda thing... You can get it in England (i.e. south of the border) from www.barr-red-kola.co.uk and it taste a bit like watered down Vimto...