Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Green Party launches fund raising nude calendar

I'm all for out of the box thinking, but I have to admit this even shocked me. In a nice way, obviously. The Green Party (of England and Wales) has launched a fund raising nude calendar, "Green Shoots", a snip at £ 9.99. Purchase a copy and you can marvel at the delights of June's Luton Green Party "shooting hoops", or August's Brighton Greens protesting on a wintry beach with only a few placards to hide their modesty.


Delights not included on the advertising include "Young Greens forming a naked peace symbol in the grounds of a prestigious Oxford College" (September) and "A group shot of Norwich councillors hard at work in their allotments" (December) - please insert your own jokes about the size of their courgettes.

The full blurb reads "Being Green means throwing off the old assumptions, casting out old ways,
being prepared to be radical - out and proud in the public glare.

"We live in a world that wants us to consume. To keep up with the way we’re meant to be - look the right way, buy the right clothes, buy into a way of life that’s totally unsustainable.

"Greens want to strip the consumption society bare and get back to basics. It’s the best, no, the only way to have fun!"

All proceeds go to funding Green council election campaigns. Send your cheque for £ 9.99 to The Green Party, 1a Waterlow Road, London, N19 5NJ and enclose a note to say that this is for the "Green Shoots Calendar"

11 comments:

John A said...

Are you featured or not?:-p

Frank Partisan said...

I brought up having a centerfold, in my group's Trotskyist paper.

Anonymous said...

Amazing. My order has been placed. Unfortunately due to demand the nice woman at the Green Party office says I won't received my calendar until April 1st, 2009 ...

Matt Sellwood said...

You are a disturbing man....

Anonymous said...

I agree with Matt!

What alarms me is how ready I was to believe that someone in the party would think this was a good idea! Perhaps the Big Green Gathering could try this as a fundraising thing too, with strategically-placed beards, tippees and body paint?!

Charlie Marks said...

Thank goodness this isn't true...

Jim Jepps said...

You'll be pleased to know that this story has been picked up in Australia... I can't tell you how childishly proud I am of this post :-)

Matt Wootton said...

Jim, please don't even JOKE about this sort of thing....!
;-)
Matt Wootton

Anonymous said...

Tis a good slice of April [tom]foolery. You've raised the game with this one, Jepps. I'm going to have to pull out all the stops next year.

Anonymous said...

Better than any of the print efforts - it gave me a laugh!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, saw through it as Luton surely do not have enough members to field a basketball team.
And the front page bodies were simply not beautiful enough to be GPEW Members.