Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Light reads

I thought I'd pass on a few of my lighter regular reads I have on my feed reader. It allows my inbox to be more than simply predictions of the imminent destruction of the Earth, the collected atrocities of mankind and the horror of becoming the SOC convener.

Speak your brains is a wonderfully trawling of the things people say on the BBC's comment facilities.

The Daily Mash and News Biscuit are both excellent spoof news services. The Daily Mash in particular is genius, although I often just read the headlines (as in real life) that is where they are definitely the sharpest.

Less politically the Fail Blog simply helps refresh my palette with a bit of picture silliness.

But of course the mainstream press also has the odd snippet to lighten the mood. Take this piece from the Independent.

We all know the comedian Russell Brand as the wild haired, politically incorrect irritant who seems to crop up everywhere. But pity the poor Americans who've yet to experience him and experienced his first major US TV performance at the MTV Awards.

As always Brand packed his material with things that make you wince in horror, but there the occasional moments where he can make you laugh whilst wincing.

"As a representative of the global community, a visitor from abroad, I don't want to come across a little bit biased, but could I please ask of you, people of America, please elect Barack Obama, please, on behalf of the world," he said.

"Some people, I think they're called racists, say America is not ready for a black president.

"But I know America to be a forward-thinking country because otherwise why would you have let that retard and cowboy fella be president for eight years.

"We were very impressed. we thought it was nice of you to let him have a go, because, in England, he wouldn't be trusted with a pair of scissors."

Sigh. so wrong, yet oh so right.

3 comments:

Vicky said...

Speak your branes is great! I especially love the different tags.

Have you ever seen Nazi Boy with Russel Brand? It's brilliant.

Anonymous said...

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/

Daily Mail Headline Generator - great fun and pretty accurate!

Nick

Bristol :)

Unknown said...

I find Speak your branes addictive and very funny, but it does also rather crush my (always fragile) faith in the human spirit (and so also democracy etc). (I have to come here in the hope of having it restored.)