Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Gil Scott Heron

It's funny, I was only thinking of Gil Scott Heron last night as I heard that Obama had scrapped further moon missions in favour of public spending down here on Earth. Scott Heron's classic song 'whitey on the Moon' had a deep impact on me the first time I heard it and it seems particularly apt now.



Anyway, Gil Scott Heron, all these years later, has a new album out and there is an exclusive preview of it at the Guardian. Well worth checking out in my opinion.

4 comments:

Adam Marks said...

"I heard that Obama had scrapped further moon missions in favour of public spending down here on Earth."

What's he spending it on, other than banks and bombs?

Jim Jepps said...

You're right - the US government doesn't spend money on anything else.

Incidentally they get the money they spend on the banks back (in fact they've got a large chunk of it back already).

Adam Marks said...

Oh, as if any of the money's going toward helping anyone. NASA's spent $9 billion so far on getting to the moon. Obama's put another $150 billion aside for making Afghan widows.

bob said...

On Gil Scott-Heron: the bits of his new album that I've heard are absolutely brilliant. One of the best, perhaps the very best, live convert of my life was seeing him in the Goldsmiths Tavern on New Cross Road about a decade ago.