Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Snippet: Emma Goldman

Browsing for the details of a particular quote I came across this from Emma Goldman which, apparently, is the phrase she actually used which has gone down in history as the "dance" quote.

"I insisted that our Cause could not expect me to become a nun and that the movement should not be turned into a cloister. If it meant that, I did not want it. 'I want freedom, the right to self-expression, everybody's right to beautiful, radiant things.'"
I rather like it.

2 comments:

Dan O'H said...

Nice, but I do prefer the dance quote, apocryphal or not.

Jim Jepps said...

Hi Dan, at the end of the day lots of people have said the dance quote - whoever actually said it first.

It's like the current discussion about whether a famous painting is actually by Goya or not... either it's a cool painting or it isn't it's not less authentic for being painted by someone else.

I'll accept that argument for banknotes... but otherwise we should appreciate things for what they are rather than the source.

I think.