Monday, September 01, 2008

Palin's little addition

So abstinence only sex education hasn't worked out so well for hyper-religious Republican VP candidate Sarah Palin. Her unmarried seventeen year old daughter is now pregnant.

Congrats. The family must be very happy.

But I can't be the only one creeped out a little by the insistent press announcements that the expectant mother and her beau are to be wed.

I hope the couple will be happy and good parents to their new addition - I just can't get it out of my head that this marriage is more about the political face of her mother than anything this seventeen year old might have wanted for herself.

Mind you, it's none of my business...

See also the silver ring thing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was a teenage wedding and the old folks wished 'em well....

MC Fanon said...

Obama has come out in opposition to using Palin's daughter as a political ploy. I tend to agree; Palin's been put in an awkward place but has handled it the right way, at least as far as we know.

There are many more criticisms to be made of Sarah Plain then that her daughter is pregnant out of wedlock.

Jim Jepps said...

I don't think her daughter should get married at 17 at all - whether or not she's pregnant. But as I've said that's none of my business.

The only thing I'm concerned about is that she uses her children for political purposes (a good amount of her acceptance speech was about her kids for instance) and had the pregnant daughter on stage with her - but in a situation that clearly covered up her "bump" (this is before the news broke).

I'm concerned that this kid is having pressure put on her to do the wrong thing with her life for the ruthless poltical ambition of her mother.

Having said that I'm not intending to post on it twice - just needed to get the creepy feeling out of my system.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, kind of hypocritical for candidates to talk about keeping family politics when they're not keep politics out of their family. Feel for this kid who has no choice to have the kid or not, or whether or not to marry the redneck jock who's the father, all to save her mum's election campaign.