John McDonnell MP is a sound fellow isn't he?
Yes he is, and he's also in the race to become the next Labour Prime Minister of this country. Considering the fact he has an excellent record against war, privatisation and racism he'd certainly be a break from tradition.
I thought I'd go and look up some factoids about the chap. This is my top five 'interesting' things to say about McDonnell.
- John was Livingstone's deputy on the GLC until 1985 when they fell out because sissy boy Ken didn't want to set an illegal budget and John did. Red Ken gave him the boot for being too radical.
- John was one of only 19 MPs to vote against the Armed Forces Bill (and here, and what he said in the House) which introduced life imprisonment for desertion.
- In '92 John stood for his home town seat of Hayes and Harlington, but lost by 53 votes. Gutted! Never mind, he then won a seat at the '97 election with a wapping 62% of the vote.
- In May 2003 he praised the IRA, saying "It's about time we started honouring those people involved in the armed struggle. It was the bombs and bullets and sacrifice made by the likes of Bobby Sands that brought Britain to the negotiating table. The peace we have now is due to the action of the IRA". Apparently some people did not approve.
- He voted for the smoking ban introduced by the government (his record on smoking)
Obviously I wish him the best of luck in his valiant attempt to raise socialist politics inside the Labour Party. Now my question for you is simple, what should people who are not members of the Labour Party do to aid his campaign?
Please, please, please don't say join the Labour Party because I'd find that terribly tedious, let's move on to new ground. Thank you for your cooperation.