Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Stomache first

I'm in the middle of transcribing an interview I did a few days ago with a friend of mine, Gen, who's just back from Israel.

Feed me!!!! (This is not a picture of Gen)It's a really interesting discussion about the anti-war movement there and a radical gay event
Queeruption that took place in Tel Aviv during the invasion.

It's one of those things you don't notice at the time but when you come to put it on paper it creates a real impression. In response to a question about Queeruption the first thing she had to say about it is the food and then when you could smoke.


A radical event in Israel that fused gay politics with opposition to the occupation of Palestine and the invasion of Lebanon and the most important thing to say is about the vegan buffet? It's exactly the sort of thing I'd say about a demonstration.

For me the most enduring memory of Feb 15th 2003 has nothing to do with the historic importance of that day but the really fantastic spagetti I had after, although I think the extraordinarily sexy company I had probably contributed to the enjoyment of the meal. A bit.

1 comment:

Jim Jepps said...

You can read the interview here (suitably edited of course)